As we age, our skin tends to lose its suppleness and its capacity to retain moisture. This makes seniors’ skin prone to dryness, which eventually results in itching and infected wounds. This is why it is important to give careful attention to senior skin.
As a home health agency in Maryland, we take senior skincare into consideration when caring for our senior patients. Here are some tips for preventing dry skin:
- Wash gently.
- Avoid hot baths, frequent showering, harsh soaps, and excessive scrubbing that may damage the skin and strip off its natural oils. Switch to warm water and gentle cleansers instead.
- Hydrate skin.
- Use a fragrance-free moisturizer after baths and throughout the day to keep the skin hydrated.
- Prevent itch.
- Keep the skin moisturized throughout the day to prevent dryness, which leads to itching and scratching.
- Pay attention.
- Evaluate the skin for signs of changes, such as peeling, chapping, redness, or pruritic skin. If you enlist your loved one in our in-home nursing care in Maryland, new growths or moles that appear to be changing can be monitored regularly.
- Check their feet.
- The skin on their feet often gets dry and becomes susceptible to corns, calluses, warts, and fungal infections.
Do you need help in caring for your senior loved one’s personal needs? We at Priority Health Care Systems can help with senior skincare and other personal care activities. We provide in-home nursing care serving all counties in Maryland.
Moreover, we also offer various services, such as professional home health care, in-home personal care, and mental health care in Montgomery County, Maryland.