Are you recovering from a surgery or hospitalization? It is important to get back to walking as soon as possible, whether independently or with assistive devices, especially for seniors.
As a home health agency in Maryland, we have had patients who benefited from early walking post-operation. Below are some benefits of early walking after a surgical procedure:
- Promotes blood flow and maintains normal breathing function.
- Prevents stroke-causing blood clots and promotes quicker wound healing.
- Improves digestion and urinary tract functions.
- Aids in coordination, posture, balance, and joint flexibility.
- Improves feeling of independence, mood, and self-esteem.
On the other hand, patients who remain stationary are more prone to the following:
- Pressure ulcers or bedsores and blood clots
- Urinary infections, constipation, and gas pain
- Pneumonia and other infections
According to a study by the University of Wisconsin, simple movements such as dangling your feet at the bedside or moving from the bed to a chair (assisted by nursing staff) can help post-surgical patients recover faster. However, they might feel dizzy at first. Thus, make sure to go slowly during the first few days.
Post-operative recovery is not easy for many seniors. Hence, ensure that you or your loved ones have compassionate and dedicated caregivers beside them. And as a provider of in-home nursing care serving all counties in Maryland, allow us to help.
If you need in-home nursing care in Maryland, we at Priority Health Care Systems can cater to your needs, whether it’s for personal or professional home health care.
Drop your worries about your loved ones’ emotional, psychological and social well-being. We’ll provide them with mental health care in Montgomery County, Maryland. Our psychiatric rehabilitation programs and outpatient mental health clinic are always ready to address your needs. Get in touch with us today!